When the use of physical intervention is inevitable, appropriate steps should be taken to minimise the risk to staff and students.
Consider the risk involved and ask yourself: “Does the risk of NOT intervening (physically) outweigh the risk of intervening?”
Before any form of physical contact is used with a
student, staff must consider the:
- age of the student
- situation in which it is used
- purpose of the physical contact
- likely response of the student.
The misuse of physical contact or restraint increases the
risk of complaints that may be regarded as potential
Apply Accountable and Ethical Decision Making to the
- Am I doing the right thing?
- How would others judge my actions?
- How could my actions impact on others?
- Should I discuss this with someone else?